The Classis was officially incorporated by the State of California as a non-profit organization on Dec. 31, 1954 for the purpose of “promoting Christianity in conformity with the doctrine of the Holy Bible and the Constitution of the Reformed Church in America.”
The first session of the Central California Classis was held at the Calvary Reformed Church in Ripon on April 7-8, 1953. The Rev. Edward Fikse was the presiding officer with the Rev. Nicholas Gosselink serving as Stated Clerk.
The fledging classis consisted of the following six churches: Calvary Reformed, Ripon; Chinese Community, Sacramento; Grace Reformed Church (later named Miraloma Community Church, San Francisco); Sonoma Valley Community Church; Community Reformed Church, Oakland and Paradise Community Reformed Church, Modesto (now Church of the Cross). Later churches were organized in Castro Valley, Twain Harte, Sacramento, San Jose, Carmichael, Elk Grove, Fremont, Petaluma and San Mateo.
In 1982 Tulare Community Church was received into the Classis when the Synod of the West re-defined the southern boundary of the classis as the Tehachapi Mountains. In the mid-1990’s a church multiplication movement began with new churches being planted in East Modesto, Chowchilla, Elk Grove, Tulare, Lathrop, Brentwood and Clovis. As the new century opened, opportunities for multi-cultural ministries emerged throughout the southern half of the classis region, including: Chowchilla, Delano Dinuba, Fresno, Merced, Riverbank, Shafter, Tipton and Visalia. In addition, five new churches were organized: Oak Hills Church, Clovis; Iglesia Cristiana Emmanuel, Sacramento; New Hope Church, Shafter, Grace Gospel Community Church, San Mateo and Sequoia Community Church, Fresno. In 2015, 21 organized congregations and 12 developing churches comprise the classis.